This makes a fantastic and filling afternoon snack when you just need a little something to tie you over until dinner. I recommend adding the Mrs. Dash. It gives it an extra flavor with a little bit of kick. I don’t serve it with the parsley. Eating the hummus with fresh vegetables is the healthiest way to enjoy this snack. However, I tend to eat it with pita chips (make sure you read the box for the proper serving size of chips).
Ingredients – Serves 5
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash southwest chipotle seasoning (optional, but recommended)
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving 1/4 – 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, onion, garlic, oil, cumin, red pepper, salt, and Mrs. Dash in a blender or food processor.
- Puree until smooth, adding the chickpea liquid if needed to thin the puree.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving to blend the flavors.
- Garnish with parsley, if using.
Nutrition Facts (per serving – about 2 tablespoons): 251 calories, 8 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 447 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber